[Tscc-l] Re: could not set locale "" to allow processing of multibyte characters

Greenberg, Jerry jpg@sdsc.edu
Tue Feb 25 06:59:37 PST 2014

Yuxiang,

try this:

export -n LANG=

and then run icpc

Jerry

-----Original Message-----
From: Yuxiang Zhang [mailto:yuz136@ucsd.edu]
Sent: Monday, February 24, 2014 10:32 PM
To: Greenberg, Jerry
Cc: tscc-l@mailman.ucsd.edu
Subject: RE: [Tscc-l] could not set locale "" to allow processing of multibyte characters

Hello Jerry,

I tried again, but the same error came out. I tried two cases:

The initial value of LANG on my end is en_US.iso885915 and I also tried LANG=C.

Both of them failed. What is the value of LANG show there?

Besides, not only this happened, when I compile some other makefile. The similar error come out.

mpicc -c -DAdd_ -O2 BI_HypBS.c
Catastrophic error: could not set locale "" to allow processing of multibyte characters

Several days ago, there is no such problem.

Thanks for helping me to take  a look.

Best,

-Yuxiang

On Mon, February 24, 2014 10:06 pm, Greenberg, Jerry wrote:
> Yuxiang,
>
> I logged in as you and I was able to compile the cxx file.
>
> I don't know how the LANG variable got corrupted but it I did some
> experiments and I found the it works even if LANG isn't set. It only
> doesn't work if it is set incorrectly.
>
> Jerry

----
Yuxiang Zhang
Graduate in Geophysics
University of California,   San Diego
Institute of Geophysics and Planetary Physics