[Sdcsb-l] [Sdbus-L] CCBB Bioinformatics Internship
Mailing list for the San Diego Bioinformatics Users Series
Mon Mar 27 11:32:07 PDT 2017
The Center for Computational Biology & Bioinformatics (CCBB) is offering a three-quarter, paid Bioinformatics Internship to qualified undergraduate students. Please forward the following to your lab members or anyone that may be interested. Thank you!
UCSD’s Center for Computational Biology and Bioinformatics (CCBB) invites motivated students interested in bioinformatics to apply for a paid, three-quarter-long internship offering an intensive introduction to core skills of contemporary genomic data analysis. Selected participants will work full-time during the summer quarter on mentor-directed projects related to next-generation sequencing (NGS) analysis; they will then continue these projects into the fall and winter quarters for at least 10 hours per week for pay and/or course credit (departmental policies permitting). Interns will receive concrete instruction in the technologies and best practices of bioinformatics analysis as well as insight into the wide variety of computationally-based biomedical research performed at UCSD.
- Coursework in basic biology and programming, preferably at the upperclassman level
- Intermediate or better programming skills in any object-oriented language (e.g., Python, Java, C#, etc.)
- Beginning or better programming skills in the Python language specifically
- Strong writing skills and fluency in English
- Willingness and ability to make a three-term commitment to the program
- Bonus: experience with Jupyter, R and/or Amazon Web Services
- R Programming
Training & supervision
Each intern will be paired with a mentor from CCBB’s staff of professional computational biologists and programmers. Mentors will lay out project goals and success criteria, and provide guidance as necessary on the details of task completion. In addition, interns will be provided group training on technologies and development practices applicable across multiple projects.
Approximate hours per week
10 during the Fall and Winter quarters, 40 during the Summer.
To apply: Please login to aip.usd.edu and provide the following documentation:
- Cover Letter
- Code example in a public GitHub repo (this can be from a class project or a side project)
Center for Computational Biology & Bioinformatics MC 0681
JBeaudette@ucsd.edu // 858-822-6258
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the sdcsb-l