[Sdcsb-l] BCI Special Seminar - Dr. Michael Rosenblum, Tues, 3/14/17, 11am, Bonner Hall 2130

Peters, Terry tpeters@ucsd.edu
Tue Mar 7 16:28:34 PST 2017

BioCircuits Institute (BCI)<http://biocircuits.ucsd.edu/> Special Seminar

Michael Rosenblum<http://www.stat.physik.uni-potsdam.de/~mros/>
Statistical Physics / Theory of Chaos Group
Dept. of Physics and Astronomy
University of Potsdam

“Feedback control of neuronal synchrony”

Tuesday, March 14, 2017
11:00 AM
Bonner Hall 2130<http://act.ucsd.edu/maps/?lat=32.876120000000014&lng=-117.24040000000004&t=roadmap&z=17&p=459&r=100&v=3&wid=459>

Abstract:

Synchronization in neuronal ensembles is believed to be the reason for emergence of pathological rhythms in case of the Parkinson's disease, essential tremor, etc. A common medical practice is to suppress the undesired brain rhythms by means of the so-called Deep Brain Stimulation  via implanted micro-electrodes; the standard protocol implies stimulation by high-frequency pulse trains. We propose to use instead a feedback control, based on the measurement of  the local field potential. Our scheme provides adaptive and vanishing-stimulation control. Using theoretical and computational models we demonstrate that in this way the neural synchrony can be efficiently manipulated. We discuss the advantages of this approach over the standard one.

Host: Lev Tsimring, ltsimring@ucsd.edu<mailto:ltsimring@ucsd.edu>, (858) 534-0816