[Sdcsb-l] qBio seminar- Dr. Ying Lu- TODAY, Monday, May 16, 2016

Brandi Powell-Espiritu bpespiri@ucsd.edu
Mon May 16 06:27:03 PDT 2016

TODAY, Monday, May 16, 2016
Dr. Ying Lu, Harvard Medical school
4322 Mayer Hall (Mayer Room) ***

Title: Specificity, efficiency and processivity in the eukaryotic protein
degradation system

Dynamic regulation of protein expression level is achieved by a
combination of synthesis and degradation.  Protein degradation
demonstrates remarkable specificity and processivity; it is essential for
the proper function of a large number of biological processes such as cell
division, differentiation, and cell homeostasis.  In the classic model of
a biochemical reaction, specificity was often described with the image of
key and lock. Kinetic mechanisms can also greatly enhance that
specificity, but at the expense of reaction efficiency and energy
dissipation. I will present my recent progress about how the Anaphase
Promoting Complex achieves substrate specificity through Processive
Affinity Amplification.  In the second part of the talk, I will discuss
how the 26S proteasome – a universal degradation “machine” functions to be
both specific and efficient against cellular proteins.  We expect these
results to be helpful in elucidating the various specificity events in
protein degradation and lead to general investigations of specificity in
many cellular systems.