[Sdcsb-l] qBio seminar speaker Dr. David Hu- Monday, April 25, 2016

Brandi Powell-Espiritu bpespiri@ucsd.edu
Mon Apr 18 20:50:32 PDT 2016

Quantitative Biology Seminar

Title: The universal law of urination

Dr. David Hu

Georgia Tech
1205 Natural Science Bldg. (NSB)
3PM, Monday, April 25, 2016

Abstract
Fluids and solids leave our bodies everyday.  How do animals do it, from
mice to elephants?  In this talk, I will show how the shape of urinary and
digestive organs enable them to function, regardless of the size of the
animal.  Such ideas may teach us how to more efficiently transport
materials.  I will show how the pee-pee pipe enables animals to urinate in
constant time, how slippery mucus is critical for defecation, and how the
motion of the gut is related to the density of its contents, and in turn
to the gut’s natural frequency.
More info is in the BBC news here:
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-34278595

Biography
Dr. David Hu is a mechanical engineer who “puts numbers onto animals,”
discovering how the natural world can teach us how to build better
devices.  He is the winner of the 2015 Ig Nobel Prize in Physics, for
research that makes people laugh, and then think.  Originally from
Rockville, Maryland, he earned degrees in mathematics and mechanical
engineering from M.I.T., and is now Associate Professor of Mechanical
Engineering and Biology and Adjunct Professor of Physics at Georgia Tech.
He has published in Nature and Science and his work has been featured in
The Economist, The New York Times, Good Morning America, Highlights for
Children, the IMAX film, Fire Ants 3D: The Invincible Army, and recently
on the NOVA series Gross Science.  He is the author of the book Animotion:
the Science of Animal Movement, to be published by Princeton University
Press.  He lives with his wife Jia and children Harry and Heidi in
Atlanta.