[Sdcsb-l] qBio seminar speaker Dr. Christopher Marx- TODAY, Monday, April 11, 2016

Brandi Powell-Espiritu bpespiri@ucsd.edu
Mon Apr 11 10:21:20 PDT 2016

Quantitative Biology Seminar

Title: Novel induction of cell stasis to protect the cell from a toxic
central metabolic intermediate

Dr. Christopher J. Marx

University of Idaho
1205 Natural Science Bldg. (NSB)
3PM, TODAY, Monday, April 11, 2016

Abstract: How can a cell exert self-restraint and grow at an appropriate
rate when its metabolism involves an intermediate that pickles
biomolecules? In the methanol-oxidizing bacterium, Methylobacterium
extorquens, we have uncovered a formaldehyde stress response system that
senses the key intermediate of methylotrophy. I will present our
understanding about both the mechanism of this signaling system, as well
as the state of our knowledge as to why such a system is beneficial to the
cell.